Everyone is welcome to come in to the church to take time out from a busy life and enjoy the peace and tranquillity, or take in the history of the church.
The Lady Chapel is a place for private prayer and there is a prayer board at the entrance should you wish to ask for prayers for a loved one who is unwell or going through a difficult time.
9.30 Holy Communion
9.30 Morning Worship or Agape
8.00 Holy Communion with Healing Prayer
9.30 Holy Communion or Morning Worship
DAMASCUS Parish Shared Service rotates around the 5 Damascus churches
9.45 1st and 3rd Holy Communion. 2nd and 4th Celtic Morning Prayer.
Refreshments are served after the 9.45 am service and all are welcome.
Pebbles – Wednesday during term time 10 am – 11.30 am. A group for parents and carers with babies and toddlers.
Abingdon Food Bank Box – emptied at the end of each month.
Holding pride of place is the late 14th or early 15th century alabaster reredos in the Lady Chapel. Unfortunately one of the panels was stolen in March 2012, being chiselled out of the wall, but as a result of the theft having been reported on Art Loss it was subsequently recovered and replaced in 2016.
Nottingham alabaster carvings were once common in English churches, and this is an extraordinarily rare survival of the Reformation, which had been buried for safety and was only rediscovered when digging out a vault in 1814. Of six panels, with a considerable amount of original colouring left, it shows the Assumption of the Virgin, the Annunciation, the Nativity, the Betrayal, the Scourging of Christ and the Entombment.
A CCTV system has now been installed.
He was also a great bell ringer and was the first ‘thousand peeler’. In 1871 he saw that the bells were cracked and has them re–cast by Mears and Stainbank of the Whitechapel Bell Foundry, and he gave a treble and tenor in 1879 (also by Mears and Stainbank) to augment the peal to eight. There is also a sanctus bell, cast in about 1870 by one of the Wells family of bellfounders of Aldbourne, Wiltshire.
A Guild of Bell Ringers was formed in 1881 and Francis Robinson became the Guild’s founding Master. A memorial plaque to him can be seen in the cloisters of Christ Church Cathedral and a Blue Plaque is situated close to the bell tower on the church room wall. There are several commemoration boards of peels that have been rung in the tower.
The font is Norman and plain, and probably the oldest item in the church, and rests on a restored 14th century base. The church used to have a mediaeval rood screen and a three-decker pulpit, but the former was removed, and the latter reduced in 1855, along with much of the pre–Victorian interior, at the instigation of the then curate, Thomas Gwyme Mortimer. The south transept was also rebuilt at this time. The remains of the 15th century oak screen are now at the west end of the north aisle.
The chancel was rebuilt in 1872. The church was restored in 1879, and the south porch added, both to designs by the Gothic Revival architect Edwin Dolby. There are mediaeval gargoyles built into the porch – which include men fighting lions.
St Peter’s was restored again in 1959 after it was damaged by fire.
The Revd Rosie Bruce – 07766 421773
Mrs Valerie Cross – (Drayton Pro-Warden) 01235 535183
Mrs Linda Johnson – (Drayton Pro-Warden) 01235 527521
Mrs Nicola Turner – (DAMASCUS Parish Treasurer) 01235 833938
Mrs Sue Harris – (DAMASCUS PCC Secretary) 01235 533290
Nick Clarke – (Tower Captain) 01235 820760